Posts Tagged ‘carbon monoxide poisoning’

We have posted regarding safety and Carbon Monoxide before but we can NOT stress enough how important it is for you to be extremely careful during the cold season.

Here are some potential Carbon Monoxide dangers in your home:

  • CO is a produced anytime a fuel is burned. Potential sources include gas or oil furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, clothes dryers, barbecue grills, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, gas ovens, generators, and car exhaust fumes.
  • CO poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. (Centers for Disease Control)
  • Every year more than 10,000 people die or seek medical attention due to CO poisoning from home-related products. (Consumer Product Safety Commission)
  • More than two-thirds of Americans use gas, wood, kerosene or another fuel as their home”s major heat source.
  • 65% of CO poisoning deaths from consumer products are due to heating systems.
  • Only 27% of homes in America have carbon monoxide alarms, according to the Hardware/Homecenter Research Industry.
  • An idling vehicle in an attached garage, even with the garage door opened, can produce concentrated amounts of CO that can enter your home through the garage door or nearby windows.
  • CO poisoning deaths from portable generators have doubled for the past two years, and many of these deaths occurred in the winter months and during power outages.
  • A poorly maintained gas stove can give off twice the amount of CO than one in good working order.

What you can do to prevent Carbon Monoxide from leaking into your home.

  • Install at least one battery-powered CO alarm or AC-powered unit with battery backup on each level of your home and near sleeping areas.
  • Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where CO fumes could seep in through a window.
  • Check all carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Do they use the most accurate sensing technology? Do they need new batteries?
  • Replace CO alarms every five to seven years in order to benefit from the latest technology upgrades.
  • Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances annually.
  • Install fuel-burning appliances properly and operate according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves and residue to ensure proper venting. Have all fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually.
  • Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
  • Do not leave your car running in an attached garage or carport.
  • Do not use ovens or stoves to heat your home.

How we can help:

  • Let us perform a Home Energy Audit. It includes testing your home for Carbon Monoxide and will give you peace of mind knowing you and your family are safe.
  • Here is a link to Choosing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm from Consumer Reports. This should get you started!

As always, Casteel Heating and Cooling cares about your safety and will help in any way we can to ensure that you and your loved ones are healthy, happy and safe.

Source cited: www.kidde.com

(Reriani Communications)— Bob Casteel has a lot to be thankful for and shows his appreciation just as those who know him would expect–by giving back to the community that has been so supportive. His entire team has been actively involved in a variety of charities throughout the years and especially in recent months. Last December his company announced Casteel Christmas, the newly minted nonprofit arm of Casteel Heating & Cooling. The organization provides furnace repairs to Cobb and Fulton county residents who can’t afford them.

Bob Casteel and Thermo

“There are several strong programs to help low income residents pay utility bills,” says Casteel, founder of Casteel Heating & Cooling. “But we are concerned about people whose furnaces aren’t even working. We’ve been inspired by programs like H.E.A.T and EAP to create change by giving back to our local community.” The program is designed to be the first in an annual campaign involving other community-minded organizations like Cobb EMC, Ironstone Bank, Kudzu.com, Mount Bethel United Methodist, and Marietta Church of God. This first year they were able to aid over 200 families and hope to double that number next year.

In addition to this program,Bob Casteel has spearheaded efforts to help Atlanta residents to qualify for the new tax rebate, saving individual families upwards of $3,400. The rebates make these important home investment purchases affordable for many homeowners who could not otherwise afford to invest. “We provided both Casteel and manufacturer savings, up to $1,900. In fact, last year we won Amana’s ‘Going Green’ award for installing more Amana Ultra High Efficiency units than anyone else. Some of our customers have noted that their monthly energy bills dropped 31%,” adds Casteel.

And while Bob Casteel is committed to keeping homeowners comfortable with efficient units, he is also just as committed to consumer health and well-being, focusing his most recent outreach efforts on educating consumers about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We’ve seen some uncomfortably close calls. So we came up with the Casteel Carbon Monoxide Protection Program. No one needs to die from this deadly gas,” says Casteel. The company recently launched their “Thermo” campaign aimed at keep consumers educated about the silent danger to their families that may be lurking in their homes.

How much do you know about carbon monoxide (CO)?  If you’re like most, you’ve heard about it, but may not know just how dangerous it can be.   According to the CDC, each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, 20,000+ end up in the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized from CO poisoning.

We’ve helped quite a few families over the last year that had carbon monoxide entering their homes and we’ve even had some uncomfortably close calls.  So we came up with the Casteel Carbon Monoxide Protection Program.

“We don’t want anyone to die from this poison. So, we decided that we needed to increase our efforts to inform people of the dangers.” ~Bob Casteel

We’re releasing a research-based survey that helps consumers determine whether they are at risk or not.  Education and early action is the best defense in saving lives.

If you’re in the Marietta, GA area, and would like more information about carbon monoxide poisoning or believe you may be at risk, please visit www.casteelair.com or call us at 770-CASTEEL (227-8335).